Sunday, January 30, 2011

Training while Dieting

First of all, this is not for everyone. It's about context so I'm just gonna address to whom these tips apply.


For:

1. Those going on a diet and I mean a real diet where you actually count calories or read food lables and eliminate at least 500kcal/day or more than your maintenance intake.  expect more than 1lb of fat loss a week.
2. Those who are lean but wants to be leaner (BF%: 10-men, 15-women or lower) but afraid to lose muscle on a strict diet.
3. Anyone who wants to preserve or build muscle but not gain fat mass. (bulking?)
4. Anyone who wants to build muscle/strength but wants to avoid working up an appetite from high volume workload.
5. Those seeking physique and already got their diet handled.

Not For:
1. Athletes looking to improve performance (especially endurance or team sports).
2. Those who enjoy training 5x a week and 2hr/session or addicted to cardio.
3. New trainees w/o supervision or spotters.
4. Those who like trendy routines and silly balancing equipments.
5. People who are not dieting hard enough.



 Some tips for the beginner lifter.

1. If it's too easy, increase the load or switch to a more challenging movement. Deadlift (3-6reps), Press (10-12reps), Squat (8-10). These are good rep ranges to stay under to help you use a load that's challenging. If you're not struggling with the bar, add more weight to the bar next set.

2. Any real training sessions will never need to exceed 60mins. Especially if you already train 3x a week.

3. There are 4 money-making exercises that will warrant every part of your body worked. Deadlift, Squat, Push Up or Bench Press, and Chin Up. Do these twice a week and play with variants of these movements (Incline press, bulgarian squat, inverted rows etc). You may need supervision if you've never done them before.

4. If you're eating less in hope to lose fat while building muscle, you won't need more than 4 sets per exercises and you won't need more than 20 sets in each workout.


5. You don't need to stretch (statically). To warm up, do some jumping jacks or lift with lighter loads of the movements you were planning to doing that day. Just move, don't just stand or lie there on a yoga mat, that's not warming anything.


6. Always rest at least 1 min before the next exercise, 2-3 mins even better when you're more advance.

7. Don't workout to burn calories, workout to put on muscle. Burn fat with daily activities (low intensity cardios like hiking/cleaning), drink coffee, and cook more satiating food to help you eat less overall.

8. Crunches won't give you a six-pack unless you're already under 8-10% bodyfat (men). Heavy squat/chin/deadlift will all engage your core plenty. Nobody who can deadlift 2x their bodyweight have weak abs.

GOOD LUCK!


“I am a 43 year old mother of five, with a busy career. I started working with Jem this year in July. I have also worked out, but I have always done it for the wrong reasons. I want to look good and skinny. Working out has been a duty."
"I also have always had a very bad relationship with food. I was anorexic in college, weighing in around 110 lbs at 5’10”. I honestly saw a fat girl in the mirror. I then went on to professional school, and realized that I needed to eat, to think. So, of course, I became bulimic. I went through a lot of counseling for it, and went to the other end of the spectrum, and thought about food constantly. I have been hovering about 25 pounds overweight for five years. I have done all the fad diets and workouts, without success, until now."

"When I met Jem, I was working out 6 days a week, and getting nowhere. I was eating five times a day, because, I believed that to be the correct and healthy thing to do. I had cut out Diet Coke, gluten, sugar, etc. No fun."
"When Jem shared with me all of his knowledge about diet and exercise, I was floored! It is exactly opposite, what we have been told in the mass media. But, I was going to give it a try."
"Jem has also shared so many articles on body image and positive self reinforcement, that it has been “therapeutic” for me. I can honestly say that I have never been so comfortable in my own skin, and I have never had such a good relationship with food! I also love lifting weights, and look forward to it!"
"I am excited to finish my transformation into a healthy person both mentally and physically with Jem...I recommend him to anyone that is looking for good, non-judgmental help!"
- Dr. Christina Sheely

3 comments:

Jem Yeh M.Ed., CSCS, CPT. said...

a good study to support the post.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Physiological%20adaptations%20to%20low-volume%20high-intensity%20interval%20training%20in%20health%20and%20disease

the research is one with LOW volume, high intensity. this is actually 10mins total workload at 90% max HR i believe, 2x a week and is enough to significantly improve health and fitness comapre to moderate intensity, higher volume (cardio) work.

so if you don't have the time to commit to regular/formal cardio, do some HIIT here and there... just don't forget to lift heavy, too.

Jem Yeh M.Ed., CSCS, CPT. said...

Here's a sample routine for someone trianing 3x a week. hit legs 2x with squat and dead, pull twice with chin and cleans, push 2x with dip and press.

Routine 1 (w/48hr recovery)
squat
clean

Routine 2 (w/48hr recovery)
incline bench
Dip

Routine 3 (w/ 72hr recovery)
dead
Chin

12 total sets per workout, 6 each, no set goes beyond 8rep, 2min rest
b/w sets, in and out of the gym under 40mins. go back to dieting hard.

if you don't know how to clean properly, just do bent over rows or pull up or DB pulldown

Jem Yeh M.Ed., CSCS, CPT. said...

Lyle's Take on Muscle loss on a diet.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/muscle-loss-while-dieting-to-single-digit-body-fat-levels-qa.html

Disclaimer:

Reading any posts or information on/linking from this site means you automatically agree to this disclaimer. I am not a dietitian or doctor, nor claim any cure, treatment, or solution to health or illness problems.